I personally don’t eat strictly gluten free but I do love to mix it up! This gluten free chickpea pizza crust recipe is a perfect variation on the classic Whole Wheat Pizza crust for our Friday pizza night! Making your pie at home means you get to enjoy a delicious dish without the guilt. I love making my own pizza because I am completely in control of the ingredients that go into my pie, and I can insure that they are both tasty and nutritious! Making your own pizza at home is a great activity for the family! With this recipe everyone gets to make their own personal pizza just the way they like it.
This pizza crust is very similar in flavor to a middle eastern flat bread, which isn’t surprising with having a chic pea flour base. With the addition of traditional Italian spices this recipe brings a whole new angle to pizza night that my family truly enjoys. Just remember that this one is a little different from the standard American pizza and get ready to try something new! With that in mind this recipe is also prepared a little different from a standard pizza dough. It is cooked more like a pancake which is perfect for those nights when you don’t have time to wait for dough to rise.
Note: You can find chickpea flour at health food stores and online but I have found you can also pick up chickpea flour from Indian markets for a good price. If you want to give it a try look for Gram flour.
- 4 Cups chickpea flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 2 ¾ cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- Pre-heat oven on broil
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients and mix with a wire whisk until well combined. Don’t worry if there are small lumps, it should look similar to pancake batter
- Heat a small frying pan on medium high heat
- Oil well with coconut oil, make sure to cover the whole surface so the batter does not stick to the pan while cooking
- Pour about ½ cup into the fry pan, tilt pan to coat the entire surface with the batter
- Cook until small bubbles begin to form
- Flip and cook about 1minute on the other side
- Remove pizza crust from fry pan and continue this process until all of the batter is cooked
- Place pizza crusts on a cookie sheet and top with sauce and favorite toppings
- Broil in oven for 3-5minutes until veggies are cooked and cheese is browned, cook time will vary depending on amount of toppings
- Slice and enjoy hot!
I want to hear from you, what is your favorite pizza crust? What is the strangest thing you have ever had on your pizza?